Monday, August 27, 2012

Friday Journals

Every year I try to find something new and creative to add to my student's education.  This year I found the idea for Friday Journals on my favorite idea source -- Pinterest.  (Wow, is that site addictive or what???) I feel we had a very successful first week with our Friday Journals.  Today we had 16 out of 20 returned with notes from family.  (If yours didn't make it back, help us out and send it back tomorrow!!)  My goal is for you to have a special keepsake of your child's 2nd grade year.  Like I told the kiddos, these are not for me to grade, comment on, correct, or even to read (ok..yes, I peeked.  But not until today, you were to first ones to read them I promise!!)  but rather a method of communication between your child and you.  Is it also authentic writing practice for them?  You bet, which is what makes them doubly fun!  I'd like to encourage you to ask them questions in your responses.  This gives them a jumping off point for the next week's entry.  I am excited to see their entries grow and develop as the year progresses.  Thank you so much for being willing to be such an integral part of your child's education and learning.  I hope you are enjoying them as much as I am!

Love,
Mrs. Heath

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this idea and I will treasure it forever!

Toby said...

This is very fun and Dannika was so excited to see what we wrote back.