Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My Favorite Things - Paragraph and Essay Writing in 2nd Grade

We put self portrait covers on our "My Favorite Things" essays.  Can you find your 2nd grader??
     Do you know what is hard to do when you are a 2nd grader?  To learn how to write a paragraph and an essay! But here on TEAM HEATH, we rocked it in the first few weeks of school!  All of our teammates worked very hard to get their thoughts and ideas about their favorite things onto paper while telling about themselves in an essay.
     The very first thing that we had to learn was how to write a paragraph.  Did you know that you have to indent every time you start a new paragraph?  Also, each paragraph can only talk about one thing.  When you want to switch to talking about something new, you have to start a new paragraph!
     We learned that when you write an essay you should have an introductory paragraph, then a few paragraphs that tell the meat of your essay, and a concluding paragraph.  All of the paragraphs work together and flow nicely into an essay that covers one main idea.
     Our essay was all about our three favorite things.  We began by introducing those three things in our introductory paragraph.  Then we wrote one paragraph (3 total) for each of our favorite things.  Finally, we wrote a conclusion that tied it all together.
     As you can see, we worked very hard learning to write paragraphs and essays.  I hope you enjoy reading a few of them.  Be sure and complement your 2nd grader on their fine paragraph writing in their Friday Journal each week!


My Favorite Things
By Kamira
        My name is Kamira.  I am 7 years old.  I think school is great.  In my bag I have these things:  a family picture, a medal, and a picture of my brother.
      I brought a family picture because I love to go places with my family.  I like to go on the rides with my mom and dad.  I love to go on the roller coasters.
     I also brought a ribbon.  I brought it because it is special to me.  I like to do gymnastics and learn new stuff.  I am in level 6 and it makes me happy.  I keep it in a bag up high so my brother can't get it.  I got it from gymnastics.
      Last of all I have a picture of my brother.  I brought it because it makes me happy and sad.  I love my brother so much.  I'm scared for him to get hurt.  I like to look out for him if he gets hurt I will be shocked.
      I enjoyed telling you all about me.  I want to read about other kids in our room.  I am looking forward to a great school year at Hickory Hill Elementary School.

My Favorite Things
By:  Landyn

     My name is Landyn.  I am 7 years old.  I think school is fun.  In my bag I have these things:  ice breakers, a trophy, and a necklace.
     I brought a trophy because I like winning.  I like to play hockey.  I played it last year.  I played it when I was five.
     I also brought a necklace.  I got it for Christmas last year.  I put it in my bedroom.  I got it from my grandma.
     Last of all, I have icebreakers.  I brought it because I like to eat icebreakers.  They're good.  They are sour.  Have nay of you tried them?  They are colorful.
     I enjoyed telling you all about me.  I want to read about other kids in our room.  I am looking forward to a great school year at Hickory Hill Elementary School. 

No comments: