Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Dr. Seuss – Breakfast and Books

 

IMG_0264IMG_0265IMG_0236

Dr. Seuss, quite simply, ROCKS!  Our first grade friends celebrated Dr. Seuss and Read Across America Day by dressing up as their favorite book character.  Many Dr. Seuss characters made the cut – from Sue Snue, Cat in the Hat, and Thing 1to The Lorax.  But never fear – our other favorite books were well represented as well!  We had Junie B. Jones, Fancy Nancy (times 2!), Bad Kitty, Sludge from Nate the Great, Annie from Magic Tree House land, princesses galore, and a super hero (and villain) or two to round out the fun.  The best part were the family members that came to join us for breakfast and books.  I love to see families spending time reading together.  The love of reading is born at home and I treasure the times that it overflows into our classroom community.  I guarantee that I could not be successful in teaching my students to read without the solid literacy foundation that was established in their homes from birth.  Today we celebrated not only great authors but also great families and the time they have spent to develop the love of reading in my favorite young people.  I hope that you make every day “Read in Our Homes” day! 

No comments: