Sunday, October 16, 2011

Week 9-Learning Can Be Fun

Who wouldn't love a week filled with ship building, rocket blasting, firefighter visiting, letter-writing, and parent-student-teacher conferencing??  I LOVE that learning can be fun -- we prove it every day in our 1st grade classroom!  Our week got off to a busy start on Monday when we celebrated Columbus Day by learning about his explorations and building a ship of our own AND we celebrated Fire Safety week with a visit from the Papillion Fire Department. Wednesday students had the opportunity to experiment with balloon rockets and discuss what actually made the rockets move.  It isn't the air "inside" the balloon - it is the air coming OUT of the balloon that propels it down the the line!  Thursday we drafted our letters to special family members asking them to share with us their memories of 1st grade.  I can't WAIT to receive their replies and learn all about how things have changed.  This year's letters will be even more exciting as we have two letters coming back from people who attended first grade in other countries.  How interesting all of the letters will be to read and discuss!
I hope that you get to hear all about these fun-filled learning experiences at home.  I know one of my favorite parts of the day is at dinner each night when I ask my own children to tell me about their day.  The rule in our house is that they have to tell me two things:   the BEST thing that happened that day and one NEW thing that they learned.  It is an amazing experience to hear what excites them and to be honest, I learn a thing or two myself!! 





As always - thanks for everything you do to make our classroom a fabulous place to spend the day! I hope you enjoy your sneak peak into our fun and learning.
Love,
Mrs. Heath

No comments: